Maywood Library celebrates Black History Month with these great books and movies. See our list below for items to check out. You can also visit some great (virtual) celebrations and resources, listed below.
- New Jersey Celebrates Black History Month
- Bergen County Celebrates Black History Month
- Other virtual events around the state
- African American History Month – The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in paying tribute to the generations of African Americans who struggled with adversity to achieve full citizenship in American society. Resources from all partners are available on this site and teaching materials are available.
- Library of Congress Frederick Douglass Newspapers, 1847 to 1874 – This online collection presents newspapers edited by Frederick Douglass (1818-1895), the African American abolitionist who escaped slavery and became one of the most famous orators, authors, and journalists of the 19th century. Douglass believed in the importance of the black press and in his leadership role within it, despite the struggles of earlier black newspaper enterprises.
- National Geographic Kids
Call us to reserve a copy of titles listed or for additional recommendations, and see our display in the front lobby at the doorside pick-up area for last minute check-outs!